Don’t let all of that time and effort be for naught. Give yourself a poke and make that connection.
Connect by adding VALUE to the call. You connected at the conference because you had a common interest. Do a little research on that topic and connect by sending some great information along with a “hello”.
For example, if you were talking about a new piece of legislation that may affect both of your organizations, look to see where that legislation sits or what has transpired since you talked at the conference.
- Mention the new information you have about the legislation, and your professional thoughts about it.
- Add a line about why you want to stay in contact with the acquaintance.
- Ask the person a question so that s/he has a reason to respond.
Questions to Ponder:
- What is the value of expanding your network?
- Can you make it a win-win to add this person as a professional colleague?
- Might this person be able to connect you to yet another professional colleague?
- Will these few minutes of effort help your work, your career?